Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Red Ryder Done


My first Red Ryder restock is done. Due to the thinness of the receiver I opted to add some "Palm Swell" strips to the grip area to fill it out. The next one will be done with two pieces of fiddleback maple and then shaped. I'll also go with a slender forearm and see how my Martini lever project looks on it.

 

This gun is an older bottlecap Model 94 that had leather seals. Well, the remnants of them anyway. That and the missing plunger tube compelled me to modify the newer rubber/poly seals and new plunger tube to get it to shoot. Real fiddly-bits, but it'll knock cans and toy soldiers off the garage range so it's all good.


This is a close up of the "palm swells" I opted for to improve the grip and you can see some of the color play on the receiver from the fire blue process I use. I go with a satin look because  these old Daisy's all have rust and pits and dents and dings.



Found an old stick of Birchwood Casey Gold Stick in a cupboard and had at it. I like it.

That's all or now, by the end of the week I should have Red Ryder #2 done with a Martini style lever and billet trigger. It'll also be sporting a full glue up stock and maybe a cheek rest. Then it's on to Red Ryder #3,

No comments:

Post a Comment