Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Libertarian Candidate for Insurance Commissioner Shane Bruce has Filed his Declaration of Intent


I got to get a better headshot.

Big news in the Insurance Commissioner race folks, I've filed my DOI (Declaration of Intent to raise funds) with the State Ethics Commission down at the capitol and ran into the first of the many firewalls Libertarians face in politics in Georgia. Did you know that the State Ethics Commission has three, count 'em, three types of political parties that they recognize here in Georgia? They can see republicans and they can see democrats but they are only able to see "other party" if you're a Libertarian or a Green or a member of the Constitution Party or the Party of What's Happenin' Now.

Right now I'm listed on the Commission's website for Insurance Commissioner with a thundering herd of republicans and one democrat as a representative of "other party" with not one mention of the fact that I'm one of the candidates that the Libertarian Party put in the field this year. I resent that. It damages my brand, hurts my party and confuses the electorate.

I call on the head of the State Ethics Commission to change this process to allow third party candidates to be listed by their political affiliation instead of lumping all of us together under the generic, mundane and boring label of "other party". I'll be on the ballot this fall as a Libertarian, not as a member of some "other party". This is a simple request with a simple solution, responding with "That's the way we do it" ain't gonna get it. If you're not able to to make this simple administrative change, I want to know why.

I'll update this post tomorrow after I get in contact with the head honcho or honchette down there and see what the what is. Should be an entertaining conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment