Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Happy Birthday H.L. Mencken!

This guy was a pirate. And he smoked cigars too.

You might recognize H.L. Mencken to the left. Or not.

My favorite quote from him is :

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken 


I like it so much I put in the header of this blog and am always pleased when some hardy soul in my limited readership inquires into which piece of Mencken advice I am referring to.  The guy was legendary and quite Libertarian. If our party had existed during his lifetime I think he would have been on board from the git-go.

Here are some other Mencken gems from BrainyQuote.Com


In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.
H. L. Mencken 

No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.
H. L. Mencken 

I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie. I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant.
H. L. Mencken 

It doesn't take a majority to make a rebellion; it takes only a few determined leaders and a sound cause. 
H. L. Mencken 

That's enough Facebook fodder for now. Check ol' HL out, there's thousands more from this remarkable man out there on the internet.

Happy Birthday Mr. Mencken

No comments:

Post a Comment